Please be aware that this is an expired job ad, so the details shown here may now be out of date.
We’re an innovative and exciting startup in the education sector looking for a Back-End Web Developer to join our team as a co-founder.
Sofmor is a platform (to be!) combining the best of a Learning Management System and social networking to elevate and enrich the learning experience of students worldwide. Sofmor empowers students to utilize the knowledge and insights of the people around them by enabling them to connect, collaborate and share with fellow students so they excel in their academic and professional life. There are many additional features and concepts we’re going to add in due course but for the moment we’re focused on building the MVP. We’ve validated the idea and developed a rock solid business model, now we’re here to disrupt the status quo and building the incredible team to do it.
Who we’re looking for
We’re seeking an experienced Back-End Web Developer (or a recent savvy graduate who has demonstrated a knack for technical talent) to join our technical team (working alongside a specialist Front-End Web Developer) to take our blueprints and transform them to a MVP. For this reason we haven’t specified the exact programming language we’re interested in. However, we’ll be looking to code the website in either PHP (most likely), Python or Ruby but this will depend on the skills and experience you have. You will be the first Back-End Developer hire; therefore the ability to lead back-end development is a must.
• Experience in PHP, Python or Ruby
• Experience with existing web frameworks and CMS
• Experience in MySQL
• In-depth knowledge of web servers ideally the Apache Web Server and a unix-based or linux server platform
• Understanding of HTML and CSS
• You have an educational background in the field of Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar, or extensive experience in back-end web development
• Ability to focus and ‘see’ the impact of your work from the user’s perspective and their experience
• Experience with Version Control Systems (e.g. Git)
• Any other experience/skills complementing client side development
• You will take a lead on software architecture and infrastructure and prioritize features
• We aim to deliver the product efficiently and reliably in the first instance, and only refine it so it’s exceptional once the basics have been cracked. You need to understand that a robust MVP is a priority, but also care deeply about evolving that into the best possible user-experience in due course
• You will create cutting-edge, immersive web experiences that not only look fantastic but are also efficient, functional and technically best in class
What we’re offering
As we’re just starting out, compensation will be equity based and then a salary once we acquire major financial backing.
This position entails much more than just being a coder; you will be an integral part of the company with input in major decisions and ideally you will stay with us after the development phase.
Besides being part of an innovative product that will disrupt the market, you’ll have the technical freedom to build something from the ground up, autonomy over your work and flexible working arrangements.
Where we’re based
Currently we're based in Yorkshire but will convene in London once we start developing the MVP. You can work remotely initially but ideally we'd like to have you on site at launch phase.
I'm interested, so how do I join?
If you'd like to hear more and would love to join an awesome team to revolutionize the student experience, get in touch with us (email@example.com). Send us some of your most recent and relevant work, this can include the following:
• Github (or similar) profile
• Stack overflow profile
• Plus anything else to show why you'd make an awesome fit